Monday 16 July 2012

ASSESSMENT CENTRAL “ Professionals” are interesting creatures



Well its assessment/therapy central here. After our Speechy and OT came around to work on some stuff with Cameron and train myself in a new technique it was on to the more serious business of DUN DUN DUN AUTISM ASSESSMENT TEAM!



First stop was the psych Dr HUGE eyes, she had massive eyes  and  was a stunning looking lady prob a bit younger than me. Peanut didn’t look at her or respond to her at all. Peanut played while Dr HUGE eyes and I chatted and did questionnaires it took 2 hours. In the end I asked if she thought it likely he would receive a DX and she is not sure!! WHAT! I nearly burst into tears. His GREEN FLAGS are imagination, affectionate(cause of corse half way through he came up for a big cuddle)and lack of obsessions. So she will be contacting the school and I’m hoping they put in a bad word for him. Dr HUGE eyes mentioned severe communication disorder (well yes we know) sensory issues (yep got that) and Anxiety problems (I would have never guessed). But as of yet is unsure if he will qualify for an ASD DX.



Second cab off the ranks the Social worker (I usually hate these people) lets call her SLICK, she was a very slick looking older woman.


Well it turned out better than expected after a very calm relaxed boy to start with I got an upsetting phone call from Nynie which then made Peanut decide he didn’t like this SLICK person (If Peanut had a super power it would be being in tune with my emotions even if I hide it super well and don’t say anything so he put  mummy being upset with strange lady and BAM).


Peanut got upset all of a sudden, wanted her to leave and started to shove her out the door screaming "bye bye, go that way, bye seeya later, BYE!" at her. While waiting for her to leave he decided unlocking the door was a good plan which let our dog out. The dog ran away which triggered a massive meltdown with us all including SLICK running down the street after the dog, Peanut screaming! The dog did a second bolt for the park I gave up (running down the street with a 3 and 4 year old screaming at you is not fun) We turned around to get the car and that set him off screaming more (in peanuts mind the dog was going for a walk without us.) I had to drag him up the street get the boys in the car. We searched for the dog for 10 minutes all the time Peanut is screaming, "Where’s Gilligan" (that’s our dog by the way). I give up and we turn around and go home. Then I see the bloody dog is waiting for us at home! Peanut is screaming cause he then didn't want to get out of the car and SLICK watches me struggling and pulling Peanut out of the car screaming at the top of his lungs. She left after that and we went inside Peanut continued to freak out for another 10 minutes, I filmed it all so I can show them what we have to deal with. The situation was diffused when Shrimples came out with a tray full of cupcakes

It really couldn't have gone better if I had planned it. Thanks Gilligan 








2 comments:

  1. The doctor big eyes assessment sounds so much like Didge! I completely feel you. Fingers crossed for some helpful input from school. And yay Gilligan, for providing such an accurate example of your daily struggles (but don't run off anymore!). I hope all goes well, surely they would at least give him a PDD-NOS diagnosis. Argh, such a frustrating process, to say the least ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im hoping they will give him pdd nos if he doesn't fit that mold properly I can not fault the imagination and affection he amazing in those ways so if that means he does not have autism then I guess thats what it means but yes very frustrating. at least we know we can stay at his language school if he doesn't get a dx. Not ideal any more but better than mainstream without a diagnoses.

    ReplyDelete