Friday 27 July 2012

Options Options Options


 Will I always have to give peanut options so he can answer more complicated questions?
Probably not but its going to take some hard work!

Peanuts and Shrimples fav book at the moment is Norman the slug with the silly shell they have had it for years but only now is it halerious and Peanut reads it constantly (when I say reads I mean makes noises looks the the pages, scripts some lines from it and laughs a lot). Our speechy wants us to move onto conversations!! argh I feel these are YEARS OFF, YEARS !!!  Ages, Zonks, Miles away.


 We sort of know the whats this? and whos that (if they are right in front of us) although Peanut can be very specific  “Peanut what colour is norman’s shell?” (it’s a pink donut with sprinkles)…  waiting waiting .. “ what colour is it?” …….  “purple!” did he get it wrong? No not really, cause mummys fat fingers were closer to the purple sprinkles then any others and that’s what peanut probably thought I ment sometimes I think his brain works likes this ( please note I actually have no idea what peanut is thinking so this is just me guessing really)

what colour is it? what colour is it ?… Is she really seriously is she asking this again what the fuck! is she colour blind?  jesus woman! What fucking colour do you mean? its got blue and purple and orange and green and pink on it.. ohh wait let me just read you mind and guess “purple?” 


I thought I could start by asking questions like what happens next and what does he do now? and what does he use to help him fly all relating to the story he/we have read hundreds of times.


And its goes like this
“What does Norman do next Peanut?”
Waiting
 waiting
 waiting  

“What do you think he does next”
Waiting
 waiting
 waiting

“How does Norman get away from the bird?”
Waiting
 waiting
 waiting 

I can see Shrimples sitting there ready to burst! But he is amazing and knows Mummy will say his name if she is asking him a question and he knows it and he is sitting and biting his tongue  and still thinking his brother is amazing and he wants to be just like him. 

Sometimes I wonder if kids think Peanut is so so aloof its cool   ohh man this guy wont even answer questions talk to us or join in  he must be the coolest kid ever
 I give it another year before he really gets teased and kids  put two and two together
Hey he is not cool or aloof or mysterious like we thought he is just odd!

Older kids already do this they either baby him or tease him. I really hope and pray (even thought I don’t actually pray) that Shrimples can always look up to his brother and have an understanding that he is different and not less (thank you Temple Grandin) and I also hope shrimples never gets teased for being peanuts brother and is not ashamed of him. Any way all this is to come Im on a tangent

So after this going on a while and me seeing peanut getting annoyed and shrimples about to explode I give in and say 
“Peanut do you think Norman jumps up and down or slimes his way  out“

“Slimes his way out” he says with ease

I turn the page to reveal and answer and excitedly say
 “ OH YES !!! GOOD PEANUT, YES HE SLIMES HIS WAY OUT  that’s what Norman does next, He slimes his way out and gets away from the bird”
then we read for a bit I asked shrimples some questions he answers with no problem before I ask peanut another one I stop reading
 “Peanut what does Norman use to fly?”
Waiting
 waiting
 waiting   

“Peanut what do you think Norman will use to fly?”
Waiting
 waiting
 waiting


“Will Norman use pants or an umbrella to fly ?”
Waiting
 waiting
 waiting
 thinking 
 thinking 
 thinking

 I said umbrella last but really he knows the answer is pants but cause I said it last its in his mind and blarp out comes echolalia
“umbrella?!?”
"Try again, Will he use Pants or umbrella”
“PANTS!”
“yes that’s right he uses the pants as wings to help him fly”

 I end the story thinking OH MAN!! when will I have a conversational boy?
 Peanut ends the story thinking "OH MAN when will she stop asking me questions I knows she knows the answer too and aren’t that important any way”

And Shrimples ends the story Thinking  “Oh man that was a great story”


Side note: Peanut had his first show and tell today  he took in his book the teacher said she read the book to everyone and Peanut kept yelling out  “What happens next ?” “what does Norman do?”


1 comment:

  1. LOL, think Didge has that same inner monologue!
    Peanut and Shrimples are lucky to have each other. I hope no one ever teases your kids, because one: that sucks and two: they're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete