Tuesday 31 July 2012

Teach kids to be accepting

 I worry alot about how other kids will treat my boys. Bulling is a horrible problem and especially when you are clearly different, I was raised by a lady who never let me see differences. 
 My Mum she is amazing and brilliant and I think without trying she taught me that differences are good important and essential.  


Peanut and Shrimples both have a long way ahead of them in this world and  I already see bullies emerging at 3, 4  and 5 years of age. Are they really bullies... umm I guess not but will they be  yes I think so these kids continuously point out differences instead of marveling in there beauty. 


I once  got told by a 4 year old girl that she would not play with the other girl ( who wanted to play with her)  because she had a silly laugh and her other fiends would not be her friend any more if she was friends with this new girl. My heart sank. I sat down with both girls and explained that everyone was different and that if she just gave her a chance she could be an amazing friend. It didn't work!  the girl refused to believe me and walked off. What would her parents think if they had heard it  Im sure they think their little girl is sociable and has so many friends she must be nice and caring. 


So Im asking you all (even those of you who think your kids are amazing and nice to everyone) talk to them make sure they are interacting with all sorts of kids regardless of Age, Sex, Religion, Abilities or Skin Colour. Read them books and show them videos about differences. Teach them to give everyone a fair go and to respect everyone. Make sure you also don't react badly or overly patronizing to kids with SN without thinking.  


Last week Peanut was called stupid by a class mate. I went to this mum after school and told her he had said these things, She was not shocked by what her son had said as apparently he picks on people alot. This made my really sad. 


 We have alot of friends with kids around Peanut and Shrimples age and Im thankful for all of them. The parents for still hanging around us and the kids for just being there and not teasing Peanut he doesn't interact alot with them and has become more withdrawn around other kids as their language explodes and his does not and the more he gets teased and called silly names the more this will happen until its next to impossible to crack that shell and get it in find that wonderful boy. I am very thankful for those little gems in the playground that play with all kids and don't seem to care about anything accept is this kid fun? Those little gems make my day and Peanuts too. I always make a point to thank their parents and tell them how nice it has been. 


Everytime your kids picks on another kid a brick goes up around that child and the child will either withdraw or becomes aggressive and they could turn into a lonely or bitter adult. but every time your kid accepts another a brick comes down. 


I asked one more thing of you if you see or hear of bulling don't put up with it teach your children to speak up and stand up! If you hear your child talk about a little child at school that gets picked on tell the teacher talk to the parents find out if they know about it and maybe invite them around for a play. 


PLEASE DON'T FORGET THE IMPORTANCE OF ACCEPTANCE! 


Just because a kid with Autism is different, it doesn't mean  they wont turn out to be the best friend you've ever had.... EVER! 


1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Speaking up, defending others, and accepting differences doesn't end. It's a lifelong skill.

    ReplyDelete